Are You Ready for Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation?
If you are sending commercial messages electronically, you need to comply with 3 requirements
If you are a business that regularly sends email and other electronic messages for commercial purposes, here are some things you need to know about the new law.
Below is a brief overview of the key elements you need to be aware of. You can find more information on the Government of Canada website.
1. What is it?
The law, effective July 1, applies to all commercial electronic messages (CEM) such as email, text, and social media direct messages.
If you are sending commercial messages electronically, you need to comply with 3 requirements:
Penalties for not complying may be up to $1 million for individuals and up to $10 million for businesses
- Obtain, and be able to prove, consent
- Provide identification information
- Provide an unsubscribe mechanism
If you already have a mailing list, the CRTC, which is responsibile for applying the law, will assume you have consent for the existing recipients; however, it’s a good idea to give people the chance to re-confirm their consent so that your records are clean and up-to-date.
2. Who enforces it?
The Canadian Radio-Television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) will be responsible for investigating and taking action on complaints and violations.
3. What are the penalties if you don’t comply?
Zipnet's service is cost effective, does everything you need to comply with the new law, and allows you to track the succcess of your email campaigns
Penalties may be up to $1 million for individuals and up to $10 million for businesses, so it’s important to make sure you comply.
What you need to do
If you're still using Outlook or a similar product for sending emails to your mailing list, keeping track of permissions, unsubscribes and address changes could be a time-wasting headache. A better solution would be to use an email marketing service like the one offered by Zipnet that will do everything for you.
Zipnet's service is cost effective, does everything you need to comply with the new law, and allows you to track the succcess of your email campaigns. It also creates a professional image for your company that generates high delivery and open rates. Here's a summary of how we can help:
- Obtain and record consent (required by law)
- Provide Identification information (required by law)
- Contain an unsubscribe link/button (required by law)
- Keep your mailing list updated with subscriber changes
- Add links to your social media pages (e.g. Twitter, Facebook)
- Promote your brand and messages with a clean and professional look
- Track who opens your e-newsletters and clicks on content
- Get notifications for new subscribers and subscription changes
The Zipnet email marketing service is affordable and easy to use. To learn more, or to schedule a demo, please call us at (780) 484-2947, or email us with your contact info, and we’ll call you.